Intro to Natural Dyeing
Taught by Armen Keuchguerian
All materials are provided for this one-day workshop and you'll go home two skeins of your own naturally dyed yarn.
Colouring textiles with natural resources requires several steps to achieve a strong, lightfast result. This workshop will introduce participants to the basics of natural dyeing, using madder roots and pomegranate extract to dye their yarns. We will explore the mordanting steps / pre-treatment of the yarn with alum, the dye extraction, and dyeing of the skeins, as well as touch upon some of the theory and varied applications of natural dyes. This workshop will also touch upon other natural dyes and the intricate palette they can offer us. All materials will be supplied for this one-day workshop, and you will go home with two skeins of your own naturally dyed yarn.
This is an introductory level workshop. No previous experience is required.
Date: Saturday, January 21, 2023
- Time: 1-5:30pm
- Location: Sweet Paprika dye studio (137 rue Saint-Ferdinand, room 223, Montreal)
- Fee: $135 + tax (includes all materials)
- All workshops will run with a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 5 students.
- We require payment in full in order to reserve a space.
- We have a 5-day cancellation policy. Your payment will not be refunded unless you cancel at least 5 days before the workshop start time.
- We reserve the right to cancel classes due to low enrollment. Should this occur, all class fees will be refunded.
- This class is bilingual.
COVID-19 Policy: Since participants will be working in close proximity we will ask that all participants wear a mask during the entire workshop. However, our studio is located in a shared space, and we can’t guarantee that other tenants accessing their spaces within the room during the workshop time will be masked.